Friday, April 2, 2010

The Sorrow Of My Soul



Something I wrote last lent...

Woke up at the break of dawn to the sweet chirping of birds,
opened up my dusty bible, thought id read a verse.
Jesus said to his friend Peter, "your going to deny me,
not once, not twice, but thrice you'll say that you don't recognize me.

I closed my eyes, knelt, and prayed to the almighty.
"how on earth could your dearest friend Peter deny thee?
I'll never ever deny thee O lord, NEVER, not even once,
and this I'll prove to you O lord, if you give me a chance."

Went about my chores that day, those precious words forgotten.
glanced through my window and saw that a little puppy was being beaten.
the kids stoning the puppy were all smiles while the puppy wailed in pain,
something told me that i should stop them, but instead I let them enjoy their game.

Took a train to work that day after buying a 'Bisleri'.
"Oh these dreadful summers" I grumbled, and took a sip or three.
just then, came to me, a little urchin girl of about the age three,
she fought to get my attention by tugging at my sleeve.

Staring at me with those wide eyes, that little girl said to me,
"I'm really really thirsty ma'am, would you care to share that water with me?"
I glared at her with contempt and disgust and muttered a curse.
shooed her away from me and hid the bottle underneath my purse.

As I walked down the road again, I came across a blind man,
waiting to cross the street, waiting for a helping hand.
I rushed past him, thinking to myself
"I'm running quite late, he'll surely find someone else"

It was then that it struck me, like a bolt of lightening,
I fell down on my knees, overcome by shame, my body trembling.
tears were flowing down my face, but it dint ease the pain,
the realization dawned on me and it filled me with shame.

T'was on that day that my precious Lord had come to me,
not once, not twice, but thrice, in ways i hadn't perceived.
but, it was me, a blind fool, who couldn't see,
the Lord almighty who was present in all of these.



- Sandra Baretto

1 comment: